Sunday, November 14, 2010

David Draper & Jane Catling, parents of my Jane Draper

My five-greats grandparents on the Draper side were David Draper and his wife Jane.

The sole candidates I can find for this couple are David Draper and Jane Catling who were married at Old Church, St. Pancras, on December 31, 1809. I have not been able to view the actual parish register entry of this marriage, and the only record of it I can find comes from the IGI. The dates fit in well, because the first child of my David and Jane Draper was born in November 1810.

The prime candidate for the Jane Catling who married David Draper is Jane Catling, a native of the Docklands area of London. She was born in Pearl Street, Spitalfields, on April 5, 1787, the daughter of hostler Thomas Catling and his wife Sarah. Jane was baptised at the age of 24 days, on April 29, 1787, at Christ Church, Spitalfields.
I can locate two siblings for Jane:

Sarah Catling: baptised June 14, 1789, at Christ Church, Spitalfields. Daughter of Thomas Catling, horse keeper, of Pearl Street, and Sarah.

Mary Ann Catling baptised April 17, 1791, aged 28 days, at Christ church, Spitalfields. Daughter of Thomas Catling, hostler, of Pearl Street, and Sarah.

I can locate no other references to children being born to a couple named David and Jane Draper anywhere in the London records as supplied by Ancestry.com.au, or the IGI.

My five-greats grandmother Jane Draper only appeared in one census return- unfortunately it was the 1841, which is not overly helpful. It shows her living at Chase Side Enfield with her shoemaker husband, David, and sons Henry and David. Jane's age was given as 55 and David's 50. Because ages were rounded down to the nearest zero or five in the 1841 census, this places Jane's year of birth was anywhere between c.1782 and c.1786.

When she died in 1850, Jane Draper's age was given as 68 years. This places her approximate year of birth as c. 1782, some five years earlier than that of Jane Catling's birth in 1787.

So is Jane Catling the Jane who married David Draper, shoemaker, and gave birth to my four-greats grandmother Jane Draper Sanders? Until I can view the original parish records of St Pancras, Old Church, I cannot be sure. As I have done before in this blog when I am not certain of an identification, all I can do is record the individual in question and wait until their place in my tree is proven or disputed.

No comments:

Post a Comment